Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Get Out of The Way

"Get out of the way."

Excellent reminder.

As I mentioned before, I'm a Plotser (Plotter-Pantser). In a typical story, I'm Plotter for about 70% and Pantser for the remaining 30%.

Sometimes, though, I can be too much Plotter and not enough Pantser. When that happens, I inevitably stall the story.

Which is what happened to Episode #110.

I was stuck in Plotter mode and kept trying to manipulate the story. The story didn't like it and fought back.

Result: stalled story.

What I needed to do was step back and let the story unfold instead of forcing it.

As my esteemed Story Editor put it: "Get out of your own way."

When I finally did, the story resolved itself and I was able to finish.

So remember: if your story seems to be stuck, you might be the one causing it to get stuck.

Get out of the way.

No comments: